Monday, July 30, 2007

Here we go


It's Monday, early afternoon, and Joe and I are sitting in the BMT clinic at Huntsman. I've just gotten an IV and some blood drawn, both of which barely hurt! I love the nurses in this clinic, they all know everything about me, and it's much more personal than the oncology clinic that I was going to before. But that means that I'm officially a BMT patient, so I won't be going to my hematologist oncologist until the BMT people are done with me, which will probably be 6 months or more. It's a little strange changing hands like that, but like I said, the people here are wonderful.

So the schedule of events starts out today with a bone marrow biopsy and a "lumbar puncture" which is a spinal tap. Wow. I'll let you know how that goes, but based on the talk of the nurses, they are really concerned about pain, so I'm not too worried. Then, tomorrow morning at 8am I go in for the first day of radiation. After that I'll get checked into the BMT unit at the University Hospital and at 1 I get a new central line placed. I'm definately looking forward to the line, since I'm sick of being poked! Overall I'm not too nervous, I think things will go good, and I'm looking forward to getting this behind me!

[joe says] The image to the left is three vials of K's CSF. It was interesting, and I now understand why they call it a "tap". It was a bit like milking a maple tree to make syrup.

2 comments:

miriah said...

you are such a star, k! you are going to do great!!!!
-miriah

Jeremy Archuleta said...

i bet your counts went to 11!