Monday, April 9, 2007

Blue Monday


Yum yum. Kristi orders extra bacon with breakfast for me. I finally got a (free) muffin this morning, for the first time in 6 days. One must be quick in the morning. In addition to a tasty English Muffin with strawberry jam, Kristi will also be getting two units of fresh squeezed A- (no-doubt thanks to Camile Hart). Her hematocrit has dropped to 21. She is now completely off any hydrating drips, including sodium bicarbonate and saline. They also gave her another shot of diuretics. Her net fluid loss yesterday was only about a liter.

Every day around 9:30, the doctors make their rounds. It's quite a herd, the room fills with "white coats". I suppose it's a blessing that they are just in and out. This means that things are going precisely to plan. We pretty much just get a reiteration of what the last attending told us. Her white blood cell counts are plummeting, and so are her red blood cells. Thus, she needs to start transfusions. She can be taken off the hydrating drips for a while since the bulk of white blood cells that are going to die have already. One of the prime concerns during her time here has been a build up of toxins from dying cells. She has taken drugs twice a day to deal with this, plus a constant drip of sodium bicarbonate (to manage blood pH). The primary toxin is uric acid, which builds up in the joints causing the Gout.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kristi...

I have been with Jenny for the past few days and following your blog. We are so happy Joe has been keeping us aprised! This will be a very informative journal.

We're getting a chuckle out of your toy collection. I like Joe's idea of the animation film. We agree you should do that!

Just know that we are thinking of you and will see you when Paul and I get well.

Unknown said...

Hi Kristi...

I have been with Jenny for the past few days and following your blog. We are so happy Joe has been keeping us aprised! This will be a very informative journal.

We're getting a chuckle out of your toy collection. I like Joe's idea of the animation film. We agree you should do that!

Just know that we are thinking of you and will see you when Paul and I get well.

ton said...

turtle loves english muffins!

Cecily said...

Hi Kristi!

I talked to Liz this morning. How are you doing? I would love to talk, but I understand if you're not ready yet. I will try calling in an hour or so. Hang in there, there REALLY is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Cecily

P.S. I watched 5 entire seasons of ER last Fall. I thoroughly enjoyed them. I also highly recommend the Total Access membership that Blockbuster has to anybody on chemo.